The Council has clustered technical and vocational programmes into three subject areas and established Subject Boards to handle each subject area. The three subject areas and their corresponding Subject Boards are:
- Business, Tourism and Planning (BTP)
- Health and Allied Sciences (HAS)
- Science and Allied Technologies (SAT)
Registration of a technical institution or a vocational training centre is an assurance to the stakeholders and the general public that the registered technical institution or vocational training centre has accomplished the legal requirements of establishing it and has adequate infrastructure, human, physical and financial resources to sustain the provision of technical and vocational education and training.
Requirements for Registration
An institution (technical or vocational) applying for registration must meet the following requirements: -
- Provide evidence showing it meets the requirements for establishment i.e. being in possession of establishment and ownership documents such as Constitution, Charter, Articles of Association and/or Business License (Where applicable) - Legality Criterion
- Provide evidence showing it is viable to deliver/provide the intended training - Viability Criterion
To fulfil these requirements, the following should be availed to NACTVET:
- Curriculum: The technical institution or vocational training centre must have a curriculum for the intended programme i.e., market-oriented, competence-based curriculum, modular in format;
- Teaching and non-teaching staff: The technical institution or vocational training centre must have a sufficient number of qualified technical and/or vocational teachers, administrative and supporting staff;
- Equipment, Machines, Tools and Facilities: The technical institution or vocational training centre must be equipped with sufficient and appropriate equipment, machines, tools, and facilities to support the training activities;
- Built Infrastructure: The technical institution or vocational training centre should provide evidence of owning or leasing building infrastructure to adequately accommodate the planned training activities;
- Location: The technical institution or vocational training centre must be located on premises suitable to conveniently carry out technical or vocational education and training undertakings;
- Information Resources: the technical institution or vocational training centre must have an adequate number of up-to-date relevant textbooks and journals which are easily accessible to students;
- Sources of funds: The technical institution/vocational training centre must prove beyond reasonable doubt that it has reliable sources of funds for sustainable implementation of the envisaged training and must operate a separate account specifically for the institution;
- Services and Utilities: The technical institutions or vocational training centres must have the essential services and utilities to support the envisaged training. These utilities include electricity, water supply, communication system, sewerage system, health services, refectory services, safety and security services, transport facilities, and recreational facilities;
- Organogram: The technical institution or vocational training centre must provide the organizational structure of the institution or centre; and
- Long-Term Plans: The technical institution or vocational training centre must provide well-documented long-term development plans addressing the core teaching and learning activities.
NACTVET has prescribed three categories of registration as follows: -
- Preparatory Registration
Granted to an institution that is in the process of being established or has no adequate resources to provide training sustainably. Technical institutions or vocational training centres granted this category of registration are not allowed to admit students.
- Provisional Registration
Granted to institutions that either have major deficiencies that they need to redress before they are considered for Full Registration or have just started to admit students, and have enough resources for a full or considerable part of the programme.
- Full Registration
Granted to fully operational technical institutions or vocational training centres which have demonstrated compliance with all the requirements for registration, and have adequate human, physical and financial resources to sustainably run their programmes.
Deferment of Registration
An applicant technical institution or vocational training centre may have its application for registration deferred or rejected if it does not satisfy the registration requirements for any of the three awards; or offers programmes that are not under the ambit of NACTVET.